Return to Index
Romantic Art Songs and Choral Music
You can answer the questions in any order. This script will give you a hint if you are wrong.
It was longer.
It required a greater variety of moods.
It increased the importance of the piano part.
Its subject was usually humorous.
2. The ballad tradition can be traced to England and Scotland:
3. All of the following statements about Schubert lieder are true except:
The piano accompaniment often reflects the meaning of the text.
The form is usually either strophic or through-composed.
The central section usually modulates from the major to the relative minor.
Modulation frequently moves from a parallel major to a parallel minor.
4. A very famous Schubert song that uses the favorite Romantic topics of the supernatural, the power of nature, and death is:
Gretchen am Spinnrade
Du bist die Ruh'
5. A Schubert cycle of 24 songs reflecting on lost love and youth is:
Frauenliebe und -leben
Vier ernste Gesänge
6. Schumann's love for his wife Clara can be felt in his song cycle
Fauenliebe und -leben
Vier ernste Ges änge
7. The Liebeslieder Waltzes for a quartet of solo voices with 4-hand piano accompaniment were written by :
8. Brahms lieder, like many of his compositions are characterized by all of the following except:
an introspective, serious tone
melodies built around triads
accompaniment that reflects the meaning of the text
9. Conservative Romantic composers were more likely to write for chorus and orchestra than for soloists and orchestra.
10. A composer of Russian sacred music who combined Western style with Eastern Orthodox tradition was:
11. Schubert wrote the following kinds of sacred music
settings of the Ordinary
12. The Cecilian movement was influenced by:
16th century a capella chorus
13. A French composer who was well known for his sacred music as well as for his operas was:
14. All of the following opera composers also wrote large sacred choral works except:
15. The Brahms German Requiem uses only the text from the Catholic mass for the dead: